• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I seriously can't get to bed.

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
I have a major problem getting to bed early enough to get a decent night's sleep. I believe I am causing significant damage to my well-being in general by staying up late and then getting up early for school in the morning, and continuously operating on significantly less sleep than I should. Every time my alarm goes off and I have to painfully force myself out of the deepest stages of sleep, I make a resolution NEVER to do it again. And yet, I seem to be learning and re-learning this lesson over and over and over again.

It sounds kind of ridiculous, I know.

When bedtime actually rolls around, the idea of getting in bed and going to sleep seems absolutely hateful. I find any of a thousand ways to occupy myself otherwise. Reading books, listening to music, browsing Bluelight, even pacing around my room in the dark.

I think part of the problem is that I'm just not tired enough at bedtime. If a person is truly exhausted, he physically cannot stay awake. So I think I need to start becoming TIRED in the evenings. Exercise doesn't seem to be of particular help. Any ideas?

When you are exercising during the day?

I find that physical activity (aside from sex) right before bed makes it harder to go to sleep. Maybe try changing your exercise schedule and see if that helps?

It's also hard to go to sleep after looking at computer or television screens. Log of your computer and turn the TV off a considerable time before you plan on going to sleep.

There are many other methods to improve your sleep hygiene. I feel for you man. Before I lost my job I would have to work swing shifts and ended up going to bed at like 2am and having to wake up at 6 or 6:30am. Waking up during the middle of REM sleep is horrible and throws you off for the whole day I find.

Edit:

I don't know where you're located in the world but I would research melatonin. I'm sure you know the basics but it really helps reset your biological clock. My dad (who travels all the time) uses it with great success to overcome the effects of jetlag.

Yea exercising will just raise your heart rate and make it harder. The me ATP ins a good idea, or you could try eating turkey or drinking milk. That'll make you tired,and the milk is great for your muscles if your working out.

I've had the same problem seeing as I have school at. 8 am, so I jus went to the store and picked up some diphenhydramine, or u could go to ur doc, I'm sure he wouldn't have a problrm giving you some trazadones or somethin.

My dad does this, but he is Bi polar, also my ex GF did the same thing she was seriously manic. It can be a sign of mania. But I don't know that thats the case with you. Good Luck

I'm so, so glad you're trying to do this drug-free. As someone who has struggled with insomnia and used medications, I can attest that making lifestyle/behavioral changes is much better.

You'll see this advice everywhere that discusses 'sleep hygiene' but nevertheless, it's good advice.

Make your bedroom (or bed) a place for sex and sleep only. Don't read, watch TV, or do anything else there, day or night. Next, make sure all lights are extinguished in your room. Even small little LED light on electronics need to be covered or turned off. Your room should also be kept cool at night, use more sheets/blankets if you're too cold.

Next, consider your bed itself. Is it comfortable? Is it old and needing to be replaced? What about the sheets and pillows? I've found that down bedding and high thread count sheets make for a much more comfortable bed. This is just a personal preference, but it might be worth trying to see of it works for you.

The advice other have given about exercise is good. Making yourself more physically tired and providing yourself with the optimal sleep area can really be an effective combination. Melatonin is also a good component to combine with these other changes. Its secreted in your body to signal the onset of sleep, and it's a safe and natural supplement. Use low doses, 1mg or less.

I don't know what to tell you man. I'm going through the same shit and it's the end of senior year and it's like what the fuck can't be doing this. For two weeks about I would like fall asleep at 4 am but then be too tired to wake up for school so I just skipped and shit. Now I've been up for two days and I'm still up right now so almost three days cause I wont be getting any sleep. Also I'm not on stimulants so I really don't know what to do.

Antihistamines / benzos / etc. are going to be a last resort for me.

Yep that's how i am doing it also - but i do tend to drink a fair bit of wine each night to try and wind down. In all honesty i think it actually contributes to me wanting to stay up. :\

Had this exact problem for 22 years! Indeed it's DSPS, a sleeping disorder often comorbid with adhd. What helps for me is light therapy (either by going outside when sunny or a philips energy light) directly upon wakening and melatonin at night. This has helped me sleep regular hours for the first time in my life.

I would say light therapy makes a bigger impact then melatonin, so try just light therapy first.

Check out this slideshow, it is focused on DSPS in people with ADHD but that doesn't really change the treatment. It has all the information you need to get yourself some help!

The author of this study comes highly recommended!

I have my fan on high....my window open but it doesn't help even though my room is the coolest in the house.